Missouri loses one of its greats
11/28/2017 11:11:07 AM
Coach
It is with great sadness that I inform those who have not already heard of the passing of Tim Nixon, cross-country coach for 39 years at Liberty High School. Coach Nixon was an outstanding coach, but more importantly, an outstanding man and role model for many, many distance runners and even fellow coaches in the KC area, the state of Missouri, and the entire midwest. He will be sorely missed. Sean Nunn Raytown South
It is with great sadness that I inform those who have not already heard of the passing of Tim Nixon, cross-country coach for 39 years at Liberty High School. Coach Nixon was an outstanding coach, but more importantly, an outstanding man and role model for many, many distance runners and even fellow coaches in the KC area, the state of Missouri, and the entire midwest. He will be sorely missed.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South
11/28/2017 8:42:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I concur with Sean. Tim was one of the greatest people I've had the honor to work with. I know I'm not alone-they have booked the largest church in the Kansas City Northland for his service and it may not be large enough to hold all the people that he has had a positive impact on. In this time of mourning, it is nice to share the fond memories that we have of a person. I'd love to hear memories that others have about Tim, if anyone is willing to share. I'll share a few of mine: When I was offered the opportunity start the program at Liberty North High School, the only hesitation I had was that I enjoyed working with Tim so much. Even though I did accept the job and we became competitors, Tim continued to mentor me weekly (often over a game of Hearts with Robert Marquardt and Tim Fritson) and those times with Tim were ones that I wouldn't have traded for anything. His mentorship during those "meetings" was integral to any successes that we were lucky enough to have. And we'd often leave his house with our faces hurting from laughing so much. One of the greatest characteristics about Tim was that he really didn't focus on winning. In his mind, winning was a byproduct of doing the right thing. And he won a lot. Including 3 state championships, a slew of trophies and if my recollection is correct his boys team went almost 2 years undefeated in the early 2000's including a 10 year span where the worst they did at the State Meet was 5th. His teams and mine faced off many times. He won most of them, but on the rare occasion that we did beat them, he was as proud of my team as he was for his own team. Whatever the result, we always shook hands and shared a laugh after. If anyone would be willing to share their memories of Tim, please do. I know for many of us he will live forever in such a way. For anyone interested, below is service information and obituary. I hope to see of you there. http://www.mycouriertribune.com/obituaries/tim-nixon/article_ed90ecc6-f707-58de-964c-7d9b7dbc748e.html
I concur with Sean. Tim was one of the greatest people I've had the honor to work with. I know I'm not alone-they have booked the largest church in the Kansas City Northland for his service and it may not be large enough to hold all the people that he has had a positive impact on.

In this time of mourning, it is nice to share the fond memories that we have of a person. I'd love to hear memories that others have about Tim, if anyone is willing to share. I'll share a few of mine:

When I was offered the opportunity start the program at Liberty North High School, the only hesitation I had was that I enjoyed working with Tim so much. Even though I did accept the job and we became competitors, Tim continued to mentor me weekly (often over a game of Hearts with Robert Marquardt and Tim Fritson) and those times with Tim were ones that I wouldn't have traded for anything. His mentorship during those "meetings" was integral to any successes that we were lucky enough to have. And we'd often leave his house with our faces hurting from laughing so much.

One of the greatest characteristics about Tim was that he really didn't focus on winning. In his mind, winning was a byproduct of doing the right thing. And he won a lot. Including 3 state championships, a slew of trophies and if my recollection is correct his boys team went almost 2 years undefeated in the early 2000's including a 10 year span where the worst they did at the State Meet was 5th. His teams and mine faced off many times. He won most of them, but on the rare occasion that we did beat them, he was as proud of my team as he was for his own team. Whatever the result, we always shook hands and shared a laugh after.

If anyone would be willing to share their memories of Tim, please do. I know for many of us he will live forever in such a way.

For anyone interested, below is service information and obituary. I hope to see of you there.

http://www.mycouriertribune.com/obituaries/tim-nixon/article_ed90ecc6-f707-58de-964c-7d9b7dbc748e.html
11/28/2017 10:18:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Close. From 1999 through 2013, they were district champions every year except 2007 when they finished 2nd. From 99-09 they were in the top 5 every year but twice. On the boys side only Joe Bill Dixon of West Plains and Ron Clawson of Warrensburg have more top 4 finishes.
Close. From 1999 through 2013, they were district champions every year except 2007 when they finished 2nd. From 99-09 they were in the top 5 every year but twice.
On the boys side only Joe Bill Dixon of West Plains and Ron Clawson of Warrensburg have more top 4 finishes.
11/30/2017 10:47:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I really wish I had the words to express my feelings towards Coach Nixon..... Tim is one of the most honorable, humble, and genuinely nice guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. As for memories.....If you've ever hosted a meet that Liberty attended, you know what I mean when I speak of the "never-ending line of handshakes". No matter the outcome of the race, Coach Nixon and his athletes were grateful to be blessed with the opportunity to get out of bed everyday and put on their running shoes. At the conclusion of the meet, every athlete makes sure to shake the hand of the race director, expressing their true gratitude for the opportunity to participate in this great sport that so many others seem to take for granted. Life is short kids, enjoy and make the most every second of every day. Live happy, dream big, stay humble, give thanks, and treat your neighbors in the same manner that Coach Nixon would. Living through his example, will continue to make this world a better place.
I really wish I had the words to express my feelings towards Coach Nixon..... Tim is one of the most honorable, humble, and genuinely nice guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

As for memories.....If you've ever hosted a meet that Liberty attended, you know what I mean when I speak of the "never-ending line of handshakes". No matter the outcome of the race, Coach Nixon and his athletes were grateful to be blessed with the opportunity to get out of bed everyday and put on their running shoes. At the conclusion of the meet, every athlete makes sure to shake the hand of the race director, expressing their true gratitude for the opportunity to participate in this great sport that so many others seem to take for granted.

Life is short kids, enjoy and make the most every second of every day. Live happy, dream big, stay humble, give thanks, and treat your neighbors in the same manner that Coach Nixon would. Living through his example, will continue to make this world a better place.
12/01/2017 10:00:49 AM
Coach
[quote=Hays]Close. From 1999 through 2013, they were district champions every year except 2007 when they finished 2nd. From 99-09 they were in the top 5 every year but twice. On the boys side only Joe Bill Dixon of West Plains and Ron Clawson of Warrensburg have more top 4 finishes.[/quote] @Hays And remember that during that 15 years when they won 14 district titles, they had to beat St. Joe every year, and they were themselves a great program. Sean Nunn
Hays wrote:
Close. From 1999 through 2013, they were district champions every year except 2007 when they finished 2nd. From 99-09 they were in the top 5 every year but twice.
On the boys side only Joe Bill Dixon of West Plains and Ron Clawson of Warrensburg have more top 4 finishes.

@Hays

And remember that during that 15 years when they won 14 district titles, they had to beat St. Joe every year, and they were themselves a great program.

Sean Nunn
12/04/2017 10:53:21 AM
Coach
Tim's funeral on Saturday was as great as a funeral can be. Lots of great people there and a very inspirational message. A fitting tribute to a great human being and his life well lived. Sean Nunn Raytown South
Tim's funeral on Saturday was as great as a funeral can be. Lots of great people there and a very inspirational message. A fitting tribute to a great human being and his life well lived.

Sean Nunn
Raytown South

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.