Girls Standout Freshmen - Class of 2022!
10/29/2018 11:07:22 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Looking throughout the season, there have been some pretty exciting freshmen this year with bright futures to come. Several of the them I noticed: Katie Schwartzkopf of Mill Valley (18:19.50). The Class 6A Girls Champion, this freshman is definitely one to look forward to in the future. Katie won three of the last four races of the season, only finishing second in the league meet behind Riley Beach, the defending class 6A champion. Her best time of 18:19.50 - ran at her most recent race, earning her the title of Class 6A State Champion at Rim Rock on Saturday - is ranked second out of all runners from Kansas this season. Second to whom, you wonder? Jaybe Shuffelburger out of Washburn Rural. The only Kansas girls runner to hit a mark of under 18:00 for a 5K. Shuffelburger had an undefeated senior season up until the class 6A state championships, where she finished second to Schwartzkopf. Schwartzkopf pulled away to beat the undefeated senior by just under 40 seconds. She won the race against a field full of fast runners and experienced veterans in the field. Remind you of anyone else we've seen before? I don't know about you, but this kind of reminds me of male freshman Tanner Lindahl's race for the 4A state championship in Wamego on Saturday. These will be freshman to keep your eye on. Other big freshmen girls to look out for: Tori Wingrove, Blue Valley High School (18:54.22) Although this freshman runner hasn't won any races this season, she has finished in the top 6 of all but one race against some pretty sturdy and top-ranked competition throughout the season. She finished sixth in the class 6A championships in race full of talent and experienced runners. Hope Jackson, Bishop Carroll High School (18:56.40) Hope has won all but three races of her high school career so far, ending it with a 4th place finish at the class 5A state championships. Thoughts on any of these rising freshmen or any other standouts to you?
Looking throughout the season, there have been some pretty exciting freshmen this year with bright futures to come. Several of the them I noticed:

Katie Schwartzkopf of Mill Valley (18:19.50). The Class 6A Girls Champion, this freshman is definitely one to look forward to in the future. Katie won three of the last four races of the season, only finishing second in the league meet behind Riley Beach, the defending class 6A champion. Her best time of 18:19.50 - ran at her most recent race, earning her the title of Class 6A State Champion at Rim Rock on Saturday - is ranked second out of all runners from Kansas this season. Second to whom, you wonder? Jaybe Shuffelburger out of Washburn Rural. The only Kansas girls runner to hit a mark of under 18:00 for a 5K. Shuffelburger had an undefeated senior season up until the class 6A state championships, where she finished second to Schwartzkopf. Schwartzkopf pulled away to beat the undefeated senior by just under 40 seconds. She won the race against a field full of fast runners and experienced veterans in the field. Remind you of anyone else we've seen before? I don't know about you, but this kind of reminds me of male freshman Tanner Lindahl's race for the 4A state championship in Wamego on Saturday. These will be freshman to keep your eye on.

Other big freshmen girls to look out for:

Tori Wingrove, Blue Valley High School (18:54.22) Although this freshman runner hasn't won any races this season, she has finished in the top 6 of all but one race against some pretty sturdy and top-ranked competition throughout the season. She finished sixth in the class 6A championships in race full of talent and experienced runners.

Hope Jackson, Bishop Carroll High School (18:56.40) Hope has won all but three races of her high school career so far, ending it with a 4th place finish at the class 5A state championships.

Thoughts on any of these rising freshmen or any other standouts to you?
10/30/2018 3:55:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The exciting thing about freshman is to dream about the future. All three of these girls, along with a number of others, have the potential for exciting accomplishments and races over the next three + seasons. For the most part, this crop is blessed with coaches known to develop talent over time. I happen to know a little about Katie's coach and I am not impressed. He will need to get his act together if she is going to get any better.
The exciting thing about freshman is to dream about the future. All three of these girls, along with a number of others, have the potential for exciting accomplishments and races over the next three + seasons. For the most part, this crop is blessed with coaches known to develop talent over time. I happen to know a little about Katie's coach and I am not impressed. He will need to get his act together if she is going to get any better.
10/31/2018 10:16:14 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cmcafee I think you are being too hard on her coach. I've met the guy and I can say he's not as bad as you say. When he wakes up on time for practice, i think he does one heck of a good job. Sure, maybe some day he will learn the kids' names but I mean, he's trying his best and the results speak for themselves.
@cmcafee I think you are being too hard on her coach. I've met the guy and I can say he's not as bad as you say. When he wakes up on time for practice, i think he does one heck of a good job. Sure, maybe some day he will learn the kids' names but I mean, he's trying his best and the results speak for themselves.
11/01/2018 1:26:13 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Wrigs77 I'm very excited to see them grow as they continue on in the Kansas cross country scene. We have a lot of girls right here in Kansas that could have a very bright future in our home state and could have a large impact on Kansas girls' cross country here. I'm looking forward to seeing them continue to develop.
@Wrigs77 I'm very excited to see them grow as they continue on in the Kansas cross country scene. We have a lot of girls right here in Kansas that could have a very bright future in our home state and could have a large impact on Kansas girls' cross country here. I'm looking forward to seeing them continue to develop.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.