Male Standout Freshmen - Class of 2022!
10/29/2018 9:33:25 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Looking throughout the season, there have been some pretty exciting freshmen this year with bright futures to come. Several of the them I noticed: Tanner Lindahl (PR: 16:17.93 @ league) - Tanner has came into high school with a strong season, winning all but two races. (10th place at KC XC Classic and 2nd at league). Lindahl broke away and won both the 4A state title and the Rim Rock Blue Division race by quite a large margin, winning in a time of 16:23.8, over twenty seconds before the second place finisher. That is pretty impressive for a freshman runner in any right itself; But that is not all. With winning the 4A boys race in such a fashion, that sets Lindahl up to have the potential to be the first ever Kansan boy to win four high school cross country state titles. There have been many girls to complete this feat, but never has a guy done so. Winning the 4A race by almost a whole 40 seconds gives Lindahl the chance to become the first. His race strategy (which I noticed in his race while recording and talked to him a bit about his race strategy afterwards, my videos of both are uploaded and on Milesplit right now) was brilliant, as he allowed the senior favorite to win Aaron Modrow of Chapman from the start with a pack of other runners following directly behind, Lindahl focused on running his own race and eventually would consume all of the rest of the field that stood in front of him by over twenty seconds. That is a strategy that seemed to work pretty well for Lindahl, who, even as a freshman, did not speed off straight from the start. In fact, Lindahl was about in the middle of the pack for the first 400 and then as everyone else began to back off of their pace, Lindahl just kept driving up to the front. Another top ranked freshman (actually ranked first now in our database after his impressive time of 16:04.9 at the class 6A state meet) is Ben Shyrock of Lawrence Free State. He has a pretty strong season overall, but against such a strong field in the 6A division in most races his school competed in, Shyrock may not have gotten much attention as the standout freshman he is. His best time leading into the state meet was a 16.23.90 (Good enough for a 4th place finish at the 6A Manhattan Regional) and his best time at Rim Rock (ran earlier in the season) was a 16:27.30. But coming into the state meet, Shyrock pulled away and fought hard in the race for an impressive time of 16:04.90, good enough for a 4th place finish against a very strong and very experienced 6A field. Any thoughts on these freshman or the bright future and impact they will have on Kansas running?
Looking throughout the season, there have been some pretty exciting freshmen this year with bright futures to come. Several of the them I noticed:

Tanner Lindahl (PR: 16:17.93 @ league) - Tanner has came into high school with a strong season, winning all but two races. (10th place at KC XC Classic and 2nd at league). Lindahl broke away and won both the 4A state title and the Rim Rock Blue Division race by quite a large margin, winning in a time of 16:23.8, over twenty seconds before the second place finisher. That is pretty impressive for a freshman runner in any right itself; But that is not all. With winning the 4A boys race in such a fashion, that sets Lindahl up to have the potential to be the first ever Kansan boy to win four high school cross country state titles. There have been many girls to complete this feat, but never has a guy done so. Winning the 4A race by almost a whole 40 seconds gives Lindahl the chance to become the first. His race strategy (which I noticed in his race while recording and talked to him a bit about his race strategy afterwards, my videos of both are uploaded and on Milesplit right now) was brilliant, as he allowed the senior favorite to win Aaron Modrow of Chapman from the start with a pack of other runners following directly behind, Lindahl focused on running his own race and eventually would consume all of the rest of the field that stood in front of him by over twenty seconds. That is a strategy that seemed to work pretty well for Lindahl, who, even as a freshman, did not speed off straight from the start. In fact, Lindahl was about in the middle of the pack for the first 400 and then as everyone else began to back off of their pace, Lindahl just kept driving up to the front.

Another top ranked freshman (actually ranked first now in our database after his impressive time of 16:04.9 at the class 6A state meet) is Ben Shyrock of Lawrence Free State. He has a pretty strong season overall, but against such a strong field in the 6A division in most races his school competed in, Shyrock may not have gotten much attention as the standout freshman he is. His best time leading into the state meet was a 16.23.90 (Good enough for a 4th place finish at the 6A Manhattan Regional) and his best time at Rim Rock (ran earlier in the season) was a 16:27.30. But coming into the state meet, Shyrock pulled away and fought hard in the race for an impressive time of 16:04.90, good enough for a 4th place finish against a very strong and very experienced 6A field.

Any thoughts on these freshman or the bright future and impact they will have on Kansas running?
10/31/2018 10:31:31 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This is a very strong class of freshmen boys. Perhaps the deepest I can recall in some time if not ever. There seems to be a lot of talented guys spread out all around the state. Many schools got the guy that should develop into their top dog within a year or two. Some schools got a guy that is already their top dog and some schools even got 2 or 3 guys that could lead to historic runs of team success. It should be a great deal of fun to watch this class develop. Unfortunately not all young studs pan out. Some move on to focus on different sports or they fall prey to other social pitfalls. Some struggle with injuries or health problems. But this is a very strong and deep class of boys and hopefully they all have great careers and can avoid any such unfortunate endings. If you happen to be one of those talented young guys and are reading this; stay focused, work hard, work smart, be patient and good luck!
This is a very strong class of freshmen boys. Perhaps the deepest I can recall in some time if not ever. There seems to be a lot of talented guys spread out all around the state. Many schools got the guy that should develop into their top dog within a year or two. Some schools got a guy that is already their top dog and some schools even got 2 or 3 guys that could lead to historic runs of team success. It should be a great deal of fun to watch this class develop. Unfortunately not all young studs pan out. Some move on to focus on different sports or they fall prey to other social pitfalls. Some struggle with injuries or health problems. But this is a very strong and deep class of boys and hopefully they all have great careers and can avoid any such unfortunate endings. If you happen to be one of those talented young guys and are reading this; stay focused, work hard, work smart, be patient and good luck!
11/05/2018 6:38:43 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I think Sawyer Schmidt from Augusta has a lot of upside left in him. It'll be fun to see him progress in the future. I also like Dylan Sprecker out of Southeast of Saline. Best freshman in 3A this season and still has teammates ahead of him to pull him along in practices.
I think Sawyer Schmidt from Augusta has a lot of upside left in him. It'll be fun to see him progress in the future. I also like Dylan Sprecker out of Southeast of Saline. Best freshman in 3A this season and still has teammates ahead of him to pull him along in practices.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.